International Safety Products
Case Study Type: Retained Campaign Preparing Business for Sale
- The world’s largest manufacturer of marine inflatable lifejackets.
- Produces more than 170,000 lifejackets each year and supplies a broad range of marine survival equipment.
- Exports to 40 countries employing more than 100 people with a turnover in excess of £8million.
- Offers wide range of supporting safety products including immersion suits, tactical waistcoats, rescue boats, Epirbs, PLBs, SARTS and marine safety lights.
- Operates across leisure, commercial marine and military and emergency service sectors. The only firm in the world to manufacture lifejackets for all these markets.
The Brief: 2013 to 2015
- Three year retained PR campaign from start of 2013 to the end of 2015 aimed at positioning the company for sale and attracting investors.
- Generate greater awareness in regional media building local reputation as a well-run successful business with good staff and community relations.
- Grow profile in the international trade press showing the marketplace, and potential investors, the company was growing, it had momentum and it had a clear vision for the future.
- Build greater awareness of ISP’s success story and promote its global reach, track record and world class product portfolio.
- Build greater knowledge of the firm’s unique selling points and commercial stability working across multiple markets.
- Communicate the firm’s world class manufacturing capabilities through in-depth technical articles in specialist trade magazines reaching target audience.
- Ran high profile campaign in regional and trade press each month for three years.
- The directors reported the PR campaign had a substantial impact on attracting buyers and securing a good sale price for the company. In total six potential buyers were interested in buying the company.
- The quality of media coverage online including in-depth interviews with company owners in the Liverpool Daily Post and Echo helped buyers from around the world research the company ahead of face to face meetings with the owners.
- Owners reported that the online media coverage gave buyers knowledge of the company and a positive impression before meetings.
- Media highlights included mainstream profile on BBC News at Ten, BBC Radio Merseyside and BBC Online reaching an audience of millions, alongside niche trade coverage in IHS Safety at Sea, Boating Business and Maritime Journal.
- Provided PR at international trade shows including METs in Amsterdam, producing attracting media to stand to report on new product launches and key developments in the business.
- Enewsletter design and editorial support providing direct communication to thousands of the firm’s close contacts.
- Promotion and support at ‘client open days’ giving key clients positive media coverage at events.
- Copywriting for business sale documents including carefully scripted Board of Directors messages and in-depth company profile.