Case Study Type: Event PR for Keel Laying Ceremony with Sir David Attenborough
- £100million turnover shipyard and engineering services provider. One of the most famous names in British industry with roots tracing back to the early 19th Century.
- Located on River Mersey, in the Liverpool City Region.
- 120-acre site with four dry docks, a non-tidal wet basin, large modular construction hall and extensive covered workshops.
- Specialises in shipbuilding, military ship refit, commercial ship repair, upgrade and conversion and heavy fabrication and engineering.
The Brief: Autumn 2016
- Provide media management support for keel laying ceremony of the new £160million Sir David Attenborough Polar Research Vessel.
- Largest commercial shipbuilding project in Britain for 30 years.
- Event would be attended by Sir David and an audience of 1000 VIPs and shipyard workers.
- Collaborate with press teams at British Antarctic Survey, National Environmental Research Council and the Department of Business Innovation and Skills.
- Worked closely with stakeholder press teams notably BAS to help co-ordinate the biggest press event at Cammell Laird for more than 25-years.
- All national UK broadcasters attended including: SKY TV, BBC Breakfast TV, BBC Radio Four Today, BBC Radio Five Live, ITV Good Morning Britain TV as well as the Press Association, BBC North West TV, ITV Granada TV, the Liverpool Echo.
- Draft and distribute the event operational note and press release.
- Invite and register media to attend.
- Draft ‘lines to take’ documents for senior management.
- Write key note speeches for CEO and managing director of Cammell Laird.
- Manage large volume of queries from media leading up to event and at the event itself.
- Coordinate media interviews on the day.
- Took lead responsibility for promoting news to international maritime trade press.
- Create huge impact on mainstream and social media with a global audience of more than 360million people reached.